On September 15, I will have a chance to co-host a workshop in Berlin with Chris Campe, of All Things Letters. Chris and I have known each other for some time now thanks to Instagram but only met few months ago for a workshop in Basel and the conference Berlin Letters she was organizing with other people.
When Berlin Letters asked me if I wanted to come back to Berlin in september to do a small event to close the #100daysoflettering challenge, I did, of course, accepted, but with Chris we had the idea to do a workshop together on the day after. It means that the Berlin Letters event will happen on the saturday evening, the 14th of september, and the workshop will happen on the 15th of september. We thought it would be a good idea to give the opportunity to people to learn from both of us. Chris and I have many things in common in our way to teach, but also on what to teach.
So for that workshop we thought we could focus on:
- learning letterforms by copy and drawing them, using vintage lettering as inspiration to derive your own lettering,
- learning their shapes,
- how they are constructed and how they work together,
- introduction to the main lettering styles and their characteristics,
- how to alter letterforms to tailor them to what you want to express
- playing with letters to create custom lettering
- and then we will focus on composition,
- how to position words together,
- what style to choose,
- the does and don’t of composition and layout in lettering
- and many other things.
You will, then, have a large spectrum of letters to play with and come back home with many ideas and tons of creativity.
The workshop will take place à P98a workshop, a beautiful place owns by Erik Spiekermann, a famous german type designer. What better place could we find to draw letters? Also, the Berlin Letters event on the evening before will happen at Buchstabenmuseum, in Berlin. Again an incredible place to talk about letters. I must say I am really excited for these 2 events!
if you are interested in the workshop, please send an email to Chris at firstname.lastname@example.org. She will give you all details and logistics. And if you want to join for the whole weekend, don’t forget the Berlin Letters event on saturday evening. Here is where you can register: https://en.xing-events.com/100daysoflettering.html.
Workshop will start at 10 and finish around 5 in the afternoon.
If you have any questions, just let me know or send Chris an email. We really hope to see you there for a wonderful day and weekend!
Workshop with Chris Campe and Francis Chouquet
10.00 until 17.00
Galerie p98a, Postdamer Straße 98a, Berlin
- all materials included, paper, pen, and handout with exercises,
- tea and coffee.